Friday, February 1, 2013


Photo Credit: The proud owner of ring and wonderful photographer Nicole Moon Took this image shortly after her engagement to Ryan Monkman this past Christmas (2012) 

"Bluebird Sparrow" Is apart of newest piece in a collection of experimental work involving the rich and tough metal called Titanium. This piece is constructed with a a fresh water pearl in a sterling silver cup-mount, shaped like the crown of a King Sparrow or the north American Blue Bird.  I have had accounts of this ring resembling the peacock and other colorful birds as well.  The silver shank is delicately wrapped in color treated titanium that forms the wings and the head of the bird.  Sterling silver ball rivets  hold the piece together, and mimic the pearl in design (I like how the pearl and rivets resemble an "egg" and thus new birth or renewal).  The inspiration for this functional ring, which I call my little "bird sculpture", came from my Mother and Sister-in-laws distinct love of birds, and my fascination with the shape of their wings. ( Also found in the wing nut series which I will post when I can find the photos!)

Alex Moon:  Collaborated with me on the construction of the ring box which I helped construct the metal insert that holds the lid closed.  Alex fabricated the Apple Tree wood and did all the final assembly.  It makes for a wonderful Concept of the lovely bird hanging out in a apple tree house :D

Thank you to all that helped inspire and conspire with me to make this for my wonderful sister-in-law!

More to come!





No comments: